[Gluster-users] gluster 3.2.0 - totally broken?

Udo Waechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed May 18 19:27:56 UTC 2011

On 18.05.2011, at 19:13, Joe Landman wrote:

> +1  Folks, get an account there, and report problems, even if you haven't paid for support.
>
> Second, if you haven't paid for support, and you are using it in a production environment to either make money or support your mission, please, help Gluster there as well.  They aren't doing this project for their own health, they need to show a demand for this in market from paying customers (just like Redhat, and every other company).

Here, the question arises what the difference between the paid and non-paid version is? Is there one? Or do paying customers only get the possibility to call support? If so, what good would it be if basic functionality does not work. Would one get instant bug-fixes? Do paying customers get better documentation? Do they get a warning about versions that obviously have problems?
What I see from here: http://www.gluster.com/services/ nothing of these services would actually help if the software provided by the company is flaved like gluster seems to be.

We are using mostly opensource software. In my experience it usually makes no big difference whether one pays for a product or not. On the contrary. The commercial software that we use gives us the feeling that we could call someone and have our problems solved quickly. The experience is the contrary. Usually one is treated like someone who does not know a thing and problems or bugs usually do not get solved quicker. Sometimes it gives us headaches that we do not have someone to blame for a bug when these turn up in Opensource software. Most projects that do care such grave bugs are solved quickly.
Just our experience...
--udo.

--
:: udo waechter - root at zoide.net :: N 52º16'30.5" E 8º3'10.1"