[Gluster-users] gluster 3.2.0 - totally broken?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed May 18 17:13:39 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 01:04 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> On 05/18/2011 11:09 AM, Burnash, James wrote:

[...]

> As the leader for a project based on GlusterFS, I'm also very sensitive
> to the stability issue. It is a bit disappointing when every major
> release seems to be marked by significant regressions in existing
> functionality. It's particular worrying when even community leaders and
> distro packagers report serious problems and those take a long time to
> resolve. I'd put you in that category, James, along with JoeJulian and
> daMaestro just with respect to the 3.1.4 and 3.2 releases. Free or paid,
> that's not a nice thing to do to your marquee users, and you're the kind
> of people whose interest and support we can hardly afford to lose.  Even
> I've been forced to take a second look at alternatives, and I'm just
> about the biggest booster Gluster has who's not on their payroll.

Us as well ... we have a product that uses it as its base, so we are
obviously strong proponents of it.

> So how do we deal with these issues *constructively*? Not by
> characterizing every release since 2.0.9 as "bogus" that's for sure.

Agreed.  Lets not get on this sort of track.  I expect issues with early
revs, and I expect things to improve with each rev.  When we find bugs
we do our best to submit them to bugs.gluster.com.  I'd suggest everyone
get an account there, and submit your bugs.  Especially if you have a
replicator.

[...]

> The problem I do see, and I do agree with others who've spoken out here,
> is primarily one of communication. It's a bit frustrating to see dozens
> of geosync/marker/quota patches fly by while a report of a serious bug
> isn't even *assigned* (let alone worked on as far as anyone can tell)
> for days or even weeks. I can only imagine how it must be for the people
> whose filesystems have been totally down for that long, whose bosses are
> breathing down their necks and pointedly suggesting that a technology
> switch might be in order. We can all help by making sure our bugs are
> actually filed on bugs.gluster.com - not just mentioned here or on IRC -

+1  Folks, get an account there, and report problems, even if you
haven't paid for support.

Second, if you haven't paid for support, and you are using it in a
production environment to either make money or support your mission,
please, help Gluster there as well.  They aren't doing this project for
their own health, they need to show a demand for this in market from
paying customers (just like Redhat, and every other company).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com