[Gluster-users] not sure how to troubleshoot SMB / CIFS overload when using GlusterFS

Ken Randall rushian85 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 01:29:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply, Whit!

Perfectly reasonable first question.  The websites have user-generated
content (think CMS), where people could put in that kind of content.  The
likelihood of such a scenario is slim-to-none, but I'd rather not have that
kind of vulnerability in the first place.  And yes, we could also add in
validation and/or stripping of content that is outside the bounds of normal,
but the main reason I bring up this Page of Death scenario is that I worry
that it may be indicative of a weakness in the system that a different kind
of load pattern could trigger this kind of hang.

To answer the second question, running top on the Linux side during the Page
of Death (with nothing else running) I get a CPU % spike of anywhere between
80-110% on glusterfsd, and 20% on glusterfs, with close to 22GB of memory
free.  The machines are 16-core apiece, though.  On the Windows side there
is next to no effect on CPU, memory, or network utilization.

Ken