[Gluster-users] not sure how to troubleshoot SMB / CIFS overload when using GlusterFS

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Jul 18 01:02:24 UTC 2011

On 07/17/2011 08:56 PM, Ken Randall wrote:

> You may be asking, why am I asking here instead of on a Samba group, or
> even a Windows group?  Here's why:  My control is that I have a Windows
> file server that I can swap in Gluster's place, and I'm able to load
> that page without it blinking an eye (it actually becomes a test of the
> computer that the browser is on).  It does not affect any of the web
> servers' in the slightest.  My second control is that I have exported
> the raw Gluster data directory as an SMB share (with the same exact
> Samba configuration as the Gluster one), and it performs equally as well
> as the Windows file server.  I can load the Page of Death with no
> consequence.

NTFS with SMB sharing caches everything.  First page load may take a bit
of time, but subsequent will be running from data stored in RAM.

You can adjust SMB caching and Gluster caching as needed.

> I've pushed IO-threads all the way to the maximum 64 without any
> benefit.  I can't see anything noteworthy in the Gluster or Samba logs,
> but perhaps I am not sure what to look for.

Not likely your issue.  More probably its a Gluster cache size coupled
with some CIFS tuning you need.

> Thank you to anybody who can point me the right direction.  I am hoping
> I don't have to dive into Wireshark or tcpdump territory, but I'm open
> if you can guide the way!  ;)

You might need to strace -P the slow servers.  Would help to know what
calls they are stuck on.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO