[Gluster-users] Tools for the admin

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Jul 14 22:01:54 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 04:35 PM, John Mark Walker wrote:
> Joe - thanks for taking the time to write this up. It sounds like the
> issue this is designed to fix is related to the GFID mismatch issue
> that we released a preventive fix for today.

Hi John

   We need to get this into testing soon.

> The sanity checks could be useful, though. Does today's release
> change anything with respect to your tools?

Don't know yet.  If we can get access to more of the internals
monitoring, we should be able to craft better tools for this.  Our plan
is to eventually get something like a parallel scan and "fix" tool that
does best practices for the fix.  Not quite an fsck (thats at a
different level).  But a real sanity checker.

I'd imagine it would be useful for the CloudFS group too ...

> [...]
> location (preferably on the same device/mount point in the backing
> store), then a copy into gluster volume (yes you need to mount it on
> your brick nodes). The danger is in modifying a gluster file system
> backend.  Don't do this.  Ever.  Unless 3/4 of your files go
> missing.
>
> And, by the way, we have a handy dandy --md5 switch on there, if you
> want the scan to take forever.
>
> Tool #3: data_mover.pl
>
> This will do the dirty work.  It parses the output of scan_gluster,
> and makes changes.  There is a --dryrun option for those who want to
> try it, and a -T number   option to specify the number of changes to
> make to the file.  Allows you to try it (hence the T ... for TRY) on
> some number of files.  It will preserve ownership and permission mask
> (ohhh ahhh ... shiny!).  The --tmp option happily sets your temporary
> directory. Verbose and debug should be obvious.
>
> nohup ./data_mover.pl --data sdd2-nomd5.data --debug --verbose
> --tmp `pwd`/tmp  -T 2000000>>  out 2>&1&
>

> Note:  all of these tools currently use /opt/scalable/bin/perl as
> the interpreter.  This is because our Perl build (5.12.3) includes
> all the bits we need to make this work.  If you want to use them, you
> are welcome to change /opt/scalable/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl, and
> they you will have to install a few modules
>
> cpan Getopt::Lucid File::ExtAttr
>
> If you have an issue with either, please let me know.
>
> We can turn these into binaries if someone needs.  Source is at
>
> http://download.scalableinformatics.com/gluster/utils/
>
> Let me know (offline) if you run into problems if you decide to give
> them a try.  Note, they are GPL2 (no license tag on them), no
> warranty, and data_mover.pl will MOST DEFINITELY DESTROY DATA.  We
> aren't liable for any damages if you use it.  Caveat Emptor.  Let the
> admin beware. Did I mention that data_mover.pl WILL DESTROY YOUR
> DATA?   I am not sure if I did.  So here it is again.  data_mover.pl
> WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA.
>
> Don't use these unless you have a backup.  Especially data_mover.pl.
> Because IT WILL MOST DEFINITELY DESTROY YOUR DATA.  Might even bite
> your dog, egg your house, and do all sorts of other nastiness.  It
> will increase entropy in the universe.
>
> But if you are staring at the rear end of 3.8M missing files,
> wondering WTF, mebbe ... that data lossage thing doesn't sound so
> bad.  Especially if you can reverse it.
>
> So feel free to look them over.  I plan to hone them over time, and
> refine them.  Add documentation even.  If they prove useful enough
> for people to use, please let me know.  And they are GPL v2.
>
> The site is http://download.scalableinformatics.com/gluster/utils/ .
>
> -- Joseph Landman, Ph.D Founder and CEO Scalable Informatics, Inc.
> email: landman at scalableinformatics.com web  :
> http://scalableinformatics.com
> http://scalableinformatics.com/sicluster phone: +1 734 786 8423 x121
> fax  : +1 866 888 3112 cell : +1 734 612 4615

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics Inc.
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com