[Gluster-users] tuning

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Jul 7 13:42:02 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 04:40 AM, Papp Tamas wrote:

> On the node:
>
> $ dd if=/dev/zero of=adsdfgrr bs=128K count=100k oflag=direct
> 102400+0 records in
> 102400+0 records out
> 13421772800 bytes (13 GB) copied, 27.4022 s, 490 MB/s
>
> The same on the cluster volume is ~50-60 MB/s.

This is what you expect over GE, more towards the lower end of the range
(assuming a non-optimized driver and network stack).

> Network layer is GE, nodes are connected with two NICs in bonding.

Bonding will not help single threaded reads/writes.  It could help
multiple simultaneous reads and writes.  But a single process doing
reads/writes will go over a single link (in general).

> I am absolutely desparated. Is it Ubuntu? Would be better with Fedora?
> Or does the Storage Platform run on an optimized kernel or something
> like that?

I don't understand this.  What are your needs, and what are your
expectations based upon those needs?  Do you have the right equipment to
meet the needs, or do you need to buy more/better equipment to meet the
needs?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO