[Gluster-users] gluster usable as open source solution

Liam Slusser lslusser at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:23:08 UTC 2011

I run two Gluster clusters in a very production roll using open source
Gluster, all supported in-house mostly by myself.

We have a 4-node 240tb after raid (576tb raw) cluster supporting a
farm of audio transcoders.  This one was built not so much for speed
(its not very speedy), but to be reliable and cheap.  Over the last
two years we've had a few small issues but nothing major.  Very
reliable.  All built on commodity hardware (Supermicro chassis's,
Seagate 7.2k desktop harddrives).

I also run a smaller 6-node 120tb (432tb raw) as storage for a pool of
public facing apache webservers.  This smaller cluster serves content
to feed our CDN providers which feeds all our users.  We can saturate
a gigabit line (with 2-3meg http objects) without issues.  (Same
Supermicro chassis's and Seagate 7.2k desktop harddrives)  This
cluster has never gone down in the last two years it has been running.

Our two homebuilt Gluster clusters replaced nearly 1/4 of a million
dollars in Isilon hardware for less then the cost of the Isilon annual
support contract while doubling the space at the same time.  It has
saved our company hundreds of thousands of dollars and has been hugely
successful.

You're welcome to email me offline if you would like more information.

liam