[Gluster-users] gluster usable as open source solution

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Aug 4 16:53:23 UTC 2011

On 08/04/2011 06:38 AM, Uwe Kastens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at gluster over the past year. It looks nice but the commercial
> option is not so interesting, since it is not possible to evaluate a
> storage solution within 30 days. More than one any other storage
> platform its a matter of trust, if the scaling is working.

Greetings Uwe

   You can evaluate it as long as needed using the open source code.
The evaluation is really of the support and service side of things.  We
could have more discussion offline if you wish, so as not to spam the
group.  I thought you had decided upon Nexenta though ... has this
changed?  I'd certainly like to hear more about your consideration of
Nexenta and Gluster.

> So my questions to this mailinglist are:
> - Anybody using the open source edition in a bigger production
> environment? How is the expierence over a longer time?

   Multiple of our customers are doing this, ranging from smaller 10TB
shops through a few 500TB shops.

> - Since gluster seems only to offer support within the enterprise
> version. Anybody out there how is supporting the open source edition?

   Support is customizable to your needs.  This is a conversation best
had offline.

   Regards,

Joe

--