[Gluster-users] strange error hangs any access to gluster mount

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Tue Apr 19 14:29:57 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff - sorry for the delay. Crazy busy here ... as usual. I'm actually fighting for the continued use of this platform. The internal client has (understandably) gotten a bit nervous about continued use after all of the issues I ran into while doing the migration from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1.

I did modify the layout xattr directly as suggested by Amar - which means that I actually deleted the existing on brick g03. I did not (that I recall) to a rebalance, but the correct attributes seem to have appeared by the next time I looked (approx the next day).

I did not have to do a full migration of the weird sub volume, though I was prepping to do so, and going forward I am going to try to have a "spare" brick available on each storage server in case this needs to be done in the future. Seems like it would make things much easier.

Hope this helps. As for the IRC - it's blocked here, but I can get it on my Android, so I will hook that up to a power source here at work and run the client so that I can participate. Thanks for the tip.

One other recent discovery that I literally stumbled onto. It appears that during the migration I missed a dozen or better version 3.0.4 clients because they had not accessed the bricks that I used to generate my client list. Sloppy of me, and something I will endeavor not to repeat. They may have contributed to the instability of the problem volume(s).

Amar / Gluster Devs - if old incompatible clients are accessing the storage servers, I imagine that they know that at some level - however I saw nothing in the logs that led me to detect them. Could you point me towards what patterns in the logs I should be looking for / unique error messages, or configuration settings that I should enable to find this issue?

Onward and upward ... Gluster HO!

James Burnash, Unix Engineering