[Gluster-users] replica count documentation

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Fri Apr 15 01:14:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 06:45:07PM -0400, Craig Younkins wrote:

>    Say you make a volume like so: gluster volume create test-volume
>    replica 2 192.168.0.150:/test-volume 192.168.0.151:/test-volume
>    A*naive*person like myself would see the storage mounted at
>    /test-volume on the filesystem and think that they could write to it. I
>    believe this is wrong.

>    Someone please verify: You must mount the gluster volume on storage
>    bricks and access it through that mount point (eg /mnt/test-volume),
>    and NOT the "volume point" (eg /test-volume) which you declared when
>    you created the volume.

Ah, I avoided that trap by luck. I created LVMs on both systems to give as
bricks to Gluster, formatted them as ext4, but never mounted them aside from
through Gluster. So they don't show up on the filesystem. They were
specified to Gluster like 192.168.250.1:/dev/volgroup/lvmname - which I can
mount individually if I like, and hopefully that's a dependable way to get
to files if somehow Gluster totally fails - don't know, haven't tested.

I gather from the mention of "healing" in the Gluster docs that Gluster
doesn't recognize a file as something to replicate unless you rub its nose
in it - get it concerned with some aspect of the file. So when the files you
put in "sideways" finally did get replicated after 15 minutes, that must
have been when it recognized it had them.

Whit