[Gluster-users] replica count documentation

Craig Younkins cyounkins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:19:28 UTC 2011

> "I suggest reading gluster docs 3.1. It has basic info on how to
> configure. Yes you need to mount since you are creating file system.
> You never write to VOLUME directly, ever."

I have read the woefully inadequate gluster 3.1 documents. My mistake might
seem like a newbie mistake, but look at the "Configuring Distributed
Replicated Volumes" page, or "Creating new volumes" page. No where does it
state that you don't write directly to the volume. A user follows the steps,
starts the volume, and sees the directory specified in the volume create
command is created, can put files in it, and they are replicated.

Since the documentation is a wiki I will help update it with this trap. But
someone has to answer this one for me: why on earth do all the examples put
the volumes under root? This contributes to the trap. Can't we put them
under /export or something?

--

"Look inside /etc/glusterd/*.vol files. There you will see subvolumes info."

> "Like I mentioned before look at subvolume info inside volume file that
> has the information about replica that you are looking for."

Is this documented? Show me the line that indicates how many replicas I have
in this virt-isos volume. My understanding is that number of replicas !=
number of subvolumes (like replica 2 across 6 bricks).

# cat /etc/glusterd/vols/virt-isos/info
type=2
count=2
status=1
sub_count=2
version=1
transport-type=0
volume-id=74856575-b51b-416b-8bf0-fe9971de0f6c
brick-0=192.168.0.150:-virt-isos
brick-1=192.168.0.151:-virt-isos

// Note that 'replica' is not in this file, but "count" might be it?
 ^-o_0-^

virt1:/etc/glusterd/vols/virt-isos# grep -ri -C2 'replica' *
virt-isos-fuse.vol-end-volume
virt-isos-fuse.vol-
virt-isos-fuse.vol:volume virt-isos-replicate-0
virt-isos-fuse.vol:    type cluster/replicate
virt-isos-fuse.vol-    subvolumes virt-isos-client-0 virt-isos-client-1
virt-isos-fuse.vol-end-volume
--
virt-isos-fuse.vol-volume virt-isos-write-behind
virt-isos-fuse.vol-    type performance/write-behind
virt-isos-fuse.vol-end-volume
virt-isos-fuse.vol-
virt1:/etc/glusterd/vols/virt-isos
#