[Gluster-users] Possible to use gluster w/ email services + Tuning for fast replication

Rick King gluster at king7.com
Sun Oct 31 12:35:25 UTC 2010

Gluster ver: glusterfs-core/rdma/fuse-3.1.0-1
OS: Centos 5.5 x86_64 (Two VMWare Nodes)

Hello All,

I am relatively new to gluster, I've started diving into Gluster for a couple of weeks now. I was wondering if anyone is using Gluster with an email server, e.g. postfix or sendmail. I am curious to know on how fast gluster replicates files since MTA's do a lot of IO. I'd imagine some gluster tuning involved to handle a lot files needing to be replicated.

Right now, I am testing out a 2 node setup, with one server replicating data to another node. One thing I noticed was when I created a file or directory on the server, the new data does not replicate to the other node. The only time data is synced from server to the other node is when I run "gluster volume rebalance test start". Is this normal? I had envisioned gluster would constantly replicate changes from the server to the other nodes, am I off base?

The commands I used to create the volume from the server (hostnameA)

1) gluster volume create test replica 2 transport tcp hostnameA:/opt hostnameB:/opt

2) gluster volume start test

3) mount -t glusterfs hostnameA:/test /mnt

My current volume info:

Volume Name: test
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: hostnameA:/opt
Brick2: hostnameB:/opt
Options Reconfigured:
performance.cache-size: 6GB

Greatly appreciate anyone has any pointers on how to improve replication.

My best to you,

~~Rick King

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it ('Message') is intended only for the use of the recepient (s) named and may contain confidential information. Opinions, conclusion and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of King7.