[Gluster-users] Question about Volume Type when bricks are on SAN

Daniel Mons daemons at kanuka.com.au
Sat Oct 23 12:38:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Mike Hanby <mhanby at uab.edu> wrote:
> Each Gluster server has been allocated a single 9TB LUN (if it makes any sense to do so, I could have the SAN admin provide many smaller LUNs per server and use LVM to combine into single brick)

Generally speaking you should LVM over many smaller LUNs.  With
multiport FC HBAs being the standard, you will get better performance
as separate requests hit separate LUNs.  Multiple LUNs mean multiple
SCSI queues, which can reduce I/O latency substantially.

We try to cap our LUNs at around 100GB.  It does make for a lot of
LUNs per server, but it's worth if for the performance gain.  Talk to
your storage admin and ask them what their recommendation is based on
your vendor and their best practices.

-Dan