[Gluster-users] Question about Volume Type when bricks are on SAN

Patrick Irvine pirv at cybersites.ca
Sat Oct 23 01:41:24 UTC 2010

  On 22/10/2010 1:14 PM, Mike Hanby wrote:
> Thanks Patrick,
>
> In that sort of configuration, wouldn't having a failover configuration where one server can take over another servers brick negate the need for replication? or, wouldn't replicating negate the need for the corosync/pacemaker config, i.e. server 1 goes down, no problem since replication will sync it up once it comes back online?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,

Yes what you say it defiantly true.

We are doing this for a few reasons

1.  I don't like the idea of data only being in sync on one brick at any
time.  If hardware fails the back end storage (be it SAN ISCSI etc) will
become out if sync.  Hence some of your data now only exists on only one
storage point.  And the system will stay that way until the failed
hardware is fixed.  Could be days or even more.  By doing this method
the data is only out of sync for just a few minutes (or how ever long it
takes to do a full sync).  or if you don't perform a full sync.  only a
few files (what ever changed during the fail over) are out of sync.

2.  This method allows us to perform load balancing of the provided
services when both nodes are up and a way to fail over to only one node
in event of failure.

Please note:  I'm not a professional.  This is just how we see things,
and how we have attempted to solve the issues we saw/see before us :)
also I have been accused of being extremely data paranoid and that the
setup is over kill!  We just think its the "right" way for us.

Pat