[Gluster-users] Tentantive new user

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:36:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Christopher J Bidwell
<cbidwell at usgs.gov> wrote:
> Can gluster be used as a WAN-based distributed filesystem?  I've got four
> servers spread around the country to provide geographic redundancy and am
> looking for a good system that I can maintain continuity between the
> servers.  Replication, etc.  Currently using rsync which is just terrible
> and has a high overhead as I've got large directories that need continuous
> updates.

We've got some small scale testing going (and working) West Coast (US)
-> East Coast (US). Bandwidth isn't so much of a problem as latency.
Gluster doesn't have an async mode, so you have to wait for your
operations to complete on all nodes -- that can take a while. Our
current setup backs a couple Samba shares, users seem happy.