[Gluster-users] Tentantive new user

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Mon Oct 11 07:47:01 UTC 2010

On 10/08/2010 07:03 PM, Christopher J Bidwell wrote:
> Can gluster be used as a WAN-based distributed filesystem?  I've got four
> servers spread around the country to provide geographic redundancy and am
> looking for a good system that I can maintain continuity between the
> servers.  Replication, etc.  Currently using rsync which is just terrible
> and has a high overhead as I've got large directories that need continuous
> updates.

Unless you've got gigabit ethernet between your POPs (somehow), i
wouldn't recommend it.  Afaik Gluster is designed for high-bandwidth /
low-latency environments, such as LANs and storage networks - not for WANs.

People have tried though, of course ; search the archives for more
information.

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>