[Gluster-users] Question about redundancy over ethernet

ron gage ron at rongage.org
Wed Nov 10 16:57:52 UTC 2010

Greetings:

I am considering deploying Gluster using NFS primarily as the protocol of choice.

In order to achieve failover redundancy, does Gluster utilize a virtual IP address like a load balancer would? Let's say I have a 4 node Gluster cluster set up, my client connects to node A. If node A goes off network for whatever reason, what happens to my client? Are sessions maintained so the client(s) don't register a server disconnect? In other words: with NFS (or even CIFS), how transparent is the failover process. Finally, what is the typical failover cutover timing like? Is it sub-second?

Ron