[Gluster-users] Setup for production - which one would you choose?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Mar 23 19:39:37 UTC 2010

On 22/03/2010 17:59, Oliver Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just made some tests on two old machines using Ubuntu 10.4 (server
> i386) with fuse-2.7.4glfs11 and glusterfs-3.0.3. At a first glance it
> seems to be OK.
> The next step is deploying a system which could be used for
> production. What would you suggest? Ubuntu 10.4 (server 64bit) is my
> first choice because of LTS. Whatsoever, I think it is more the version
> of glusterfs which makes it stable or not, isn't it?
> In the end I'd like to have a distributed&  replicated storage which
> provides data for a bunch of (virtualized) LAMPS.
>
> TIA for your recommendations!

I'm intrigued.  I had not realised that there were other options than
Gentoo for use on a server?!  (Bang up to date, flexible configuration
and strong support of various virtualisation solutions.  Slight negative
in update speeds, but can be mitigated by using a binary package cache)

Will try out those new fangled options you suggested above, but in the
meantime have a look at Gentoo (at least if you are fairly confident
with your linux skills).  Big plug for linux-vservers also, especially
in combination with some custom server profiles to define required
software versions and options

Good luck

Ed W