[Gluster-users] Brick Preference

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 16:20:11 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 10:57 AM, Andy Pace wrote:
> Good call.
>

> However, when running scale-n-defrag.sh (not supposed to run
> defrag.sh standalone apparently), i get a lot of errors:
>
> find: `setfattr': No such file or directory

The setfattrs are actually attribute deletes, so deleting what already
didn't exist is a no-op.  I was working with another user on the IRC
channel yesterday who was seeing the same thing.  The approach we came
up with was:

(1) Remove the xattrs *on the server side* to make sure they're well and
truly gone and there won't be any inconsistent remnants to cause
problems later.

(2) Mount with lookup-unhashed and unhashed-sticky-bit enabled.

(3) Run scale-n-defrag.sh on the client to redistribute *and* make sure
all of the maps/links are consistent.

I haven't heard back about the results yet, but a test on one directory
seemed to work correctly so he seemed to feel comfortable doing it
across the whole data set (personally I would have sought more input
from the real devs first).

> is it safe to ignore thouse? because it seems to have defragged
> anyway:
>
> Defragmenting directory /distributed//29150
> (/root/defrag-store-29150.log) Completed directory

Seems promising, but the real question is whether examining disk usage
across the bricks shows improved distribution.