[Gluster-users] Newbie questions

Kristofer Pettijohn kristofer at cybernetik.net
Sat Aug 21 05:00:25 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm new to Gluster and am trying to understand it better before I roll it into production.  I looked at the FAQ's and it didn't seem to answer my questions, so please pardon my ignorance.

For now I have set up two servers, gluster1 and gluster2.  The clients are set up using the cluster/replicate translator:

volume mirror-0
    type cluster/replicate
    subvolumes gluster1-1 gluster2-1
end-volume

I have a few questions about this setup.

1. If one of the mirror nodes goes down (for minutes, hours, or even needs to be completely rebuilt), how is recovery/resync'ing handled?  Do I need to do "ls -laR" in the directory from a client to force it to check all of the files?

2. When growth happens, I would like to add servers in pairs.  I would like to add another mirror, and stripe across the mirrors.  I understand that gluster needs to be restarted to add storage nodes, but assuming that is done, is there any more than updating the client volume files and restarting gluster?  If a new mirror volume is added and it can be striped, is it possible for gluster to rebalance the data across the stripe?

Thanks,
Kris