[Gluster-users] Issue with files on glusterfs becoming unreadable.

Elbert Lai elbert.lai at eng.admob.com
Thu Jun 11 20:56:23 UTC 2009

Vikas,

Thanks you for responding. I am recommending that the first thing we
do before spending more time troubleshooting this is to upgrade. I
found that someone else reported something quite similar back in
January.

Here the "selfheal complete" is acutaly "selfheal complete
unsuccessfully". It does not heal the file and open returns error. The
healing code detects a conflicting case if it sees that both the
subvols say that they are the latest and other is outdated. We see
this happen when there is a split brain situation (network between AFR
servers is broken and different clients write to each AFR
independently) or in a very rare case where one of the servers go down
right when a write operation is happening. I think you have hit the
2nd case. Here AFR can not really decide on which subvol has the
latest version hence it leaves is to the discretion of the user.
Earlier 1.3 AFR did not handle the split brain situation hence you did
not see this.

Krishna

It seems to me that this must be inherent in the concept of a split
namenode, namely that the potential for splitbrain exists. Is this no
longer the case with gluster v2? Or if one host becomes unreachable
for long enough, then this type of scenario is unavoidable?

It looks like to upgrade, there is a post-install script that must be
run on the exported volumes to clean up extended attributes. I haven't
spent much time look at any upgrade docs yet (which I fully intend to
do), but are there any big gotchas? The gluster servers house our
production data storage, about 1.7TB on the average.

Thanks,
-elb-