[Gluster-users] Adding bricks to DHT

Vahriç Muhtaryan vahric at doruk.net.tr
Sun Dec 6 17:00:05 UTC 2009

One idea , docs said that you should create new directory. Could you create a new directory after add another server and copy files from old directory to new one, then everything will be distributed.

I know that glusterfs do not have reallocation mechanism for distribute data to new added bricks for achive performance and capcity problem.

*Now the question is what about adding a new server?

Currently hash works based on directory level distribution. i.e, a given file's parent directory will have information of how the hash numbers are mapped to subvolumes. So, adding new node doesn't disturb any current setup as the files/dirs present already have its information preserved. Whatever new directory gets created, will start considering new volume for scheduling files.

Regards
Vahric