[Gluster-users] performance lower then expected

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:23:04 UTC 2008

I've setup an eight node server stripe using gluster 1.4.0pre5 using the
stripe example from the wiki.  Each of these eight nodes has a 100Mbit
ethernet card and a single hard disk.
I've connected them all together using a gigabit switch and I have a gigabit
workstation connected, with gluster mounted and running fine.

However, when i try to do a dd test to the disk "dd if=/dev/zero of=test1
bs=1024k count=1000", I'm only seeing 10MB/sec over the transfer.

I would suspect the data to stripe evenly across all the disks/nodes,
effectively giving me at least over 50MB/sec in combined throughput.

I'm I confused on what the stripe translator does, or did I do something
wrong?