[Gluster-users] Still problem with trivial self heal

Łukasz Osipiuk lukasz at osipiuk.net
Sun Nov 9 12:32:36 UTC 2008

Hi!

I have trivial problem with self healing. Maybe somebody will be able
to tell mi what am I doing wrong, and why do the files not heal as I
expect.

Configuration:

Servers: two nodes A, B
---------
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /ext3/glusterfs13/brick
end-volume

volume brick
  type features/posix-locks
  option mandatory on
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp/server
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
  option auth.ip.brick-ns.allow *
  subvolumes brick
end-volume
--------

Client: C
-------
volume brick1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host A
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume brick2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host B
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume afr
 type cluster/afr
 subvolumes brick1 brick2
end-volume

volume iot
 type performance/io-threads
 subvolumes afr
 option thread-count 8
end-volume

Scenario:

1. mount remote afr brick on C
2. do some ops
3. stop the server A (to simulate machine failure)
4. wait some time so clock skew beetween A and B is not an issue
5. write file X to gluster mount on C
6. start the server A
7. wait for C to reconnect to A
8. wait some time so clock skew beetween A and B is not an issue
9. touch, read, stat, write to file X, ls the dir in which X is (all
on gluser mount on C)

And here is the problem. Whatever I do I cant make the file X appear
on backend fs on brick A which
was down when file X was created. Help is really appricciate.

PS. I discussed, similar auto-healing  problem on gluster-devel some
time ago, and then it magically worked once, so i stopped thinking
about it. Today I see it again and as we are willing to use glusterfs
in production soon auto-heal functionality is crucial.

Regards, Lukasz Osipiuk.

--
Łukasz Osipiuk
mailto: lukasz at osipiuk.net