[Gluster-users] Unify for mirror server

Fajran Iman Rusadi iang at csui02.net
Sat Nov 8 06:13:03 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm going to use the Unify feature of GlusterFS to build a storage
space that will be used for a mirror server. After playing around for
some time, honestly, I worry about its performance. Is unify suitable
for a mirror server? The common access pattern is of course reading
from a lot of small and big files (like ISO file) concurrently from
many users (let say 500 users at a time, on average). Beside that,
since I'll also offer rsync service, directory traversing would be
done very often.

At the moment, I only have one server with one core processor. I use 3
storage bricks in the same machine and unify them into one big volume.
I still have an option to add more cores and add one extra storage
machine. Will the performance be significantly better if I take this
option?

I like this unify feature because basically each brick is still
independent. I can replace a brick if I need without losing data that
are stored on the other bricks.

do you guys have suggestions for me?

many thanks!

regards,