[Gluster-users] Question about your tutorial setup From

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Jul 29 11:16:57 UTC 2008

At 01:32 AM 7/29/2008, Daniel Maher wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:23:39 -0700
>Keith Freedman <freedman at FreeFormIT.com> wrote:
>
>In my experience, the default transport-timeout setting is too high for
>this particular configuration ; when one of the servers would fail, the
>clients would take far too long to figure it out, thus defeating the
>purpose of having an HA service. :P
>
>Whether that would affect your particular scenario is debatable,
>however.

I set it to 10. seems reasonable.. if it didn't make a difference,
that's fine, if it does, I might not even notice :)

> > And the remote volume is the posix locks volume instead of the
> > storage volume-- I had thought that in order for locking to work
> > correctly, you have to make sure the lock is shared and this was the
> > way to do that?
>
>To be fair, locking only needs to be enabled if your environment poses
>the risk of multiple simultaneous attempted writes on a single object
>(a scenario which, somewhat surprisingly, is less likely than it
>appears in many environments).
>
>For testing purposes you might try disabling this functionality
>altogether and seeing if it makes a difference.

cpanel seems to freak out when it can't lock things the way it wants to.

I'm basically a standard webhosting environment, the possibility of
multiple simultaneous writes is probably even lower than
average.  Most of the things (for most of my hosting clients), that
have this type of data are using the database which saves the
filesystem from being a problem.

I think I'll leave the locking on for now, if I find things keep
hanging I'll take it out and see if that helps.

Thanks for the response,
Keith