[Gluster-users] Question about your tutorial setup From

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Tue Jul 29 08:32:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:23:39 -0700
Keith Freedman <freedman at FreeFormIT.com> wrote:

> >http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/High-availability_storage_using_server-side_AFR
>
> Mine's almost exactly the same as your example in the wiki with the
> following exceptions:
> in the tcp/client section:
> I hadn't had a transport-timeout set.. I've added this so that may
> make a difference?

In my experience, the default transport-timeout setting is too high for
this particular configuration ; when one of the servers would fail, the
clients would take far too long to figure it out, thus defeating the
purpose of having an HA service. :P

Whether that would affect your particular scenario is debatable,
however.

> And the remote volume is the posix locks volume instead of the
> storage volume-- I had thought that in order for locking to work
> correctly, you have to make sure the lock is shared and this was the
> way to do that?

To be fair, locking only needs to be enabled if your environment poses
the risk of multiple simultaneous attempted writes on a single object
(a scenario which, somewhat surprisingly, is less likely than it
appears in many environments).

For testing purposes you might try disabling this functionality
altogether and seeing if it makes a difference.

--
Daniel Maher <dma AT witbe DOT net>