[Gluster-users] Add/remove new server volumes on the fly?

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Fri Aug 15 19:08:20 UTC 2008

Hi Ferrety,
 Replies inline.

Hi list,

> 1. While learning GlusterFS, I'was wondering if it's possible to add
> server volumes to increase space capacity of my cluster "on the FLY"?
> I mean, a hot upgrade.

Hope you checked the Roadmap, we have it coming in 1.5 release (planned to
it ready by yearend).

> 2. Second, when using "files replicating strategy" (scheduler), is it
> possible to remove a server node  without stopping the hole cluster
> (ex. hardware maintaining reasons, add more disk/ram to the node ...)?

Scheduler is not the term you may be looking at... check AFR (automatic file
replication), and yes, if you are using, you can take out the node when
cluster is active.

> 3. Finally, what's the best volume specifications for writing huge
> number (hundred thousands) of big file (1 Gb size in average) on my
> cluster?
> I've an application which produce these big files at a regular rate
> (let say, 1 file per minute)  and I'd like to know if a good volume
> scpecification
> can handle this amount of data?

Well, at the rate of 1GB per minute, you will hit the disk speed, hence
stripe is better option. But with Stripe translator you will not be able to
take out the nodes.

--
Amar Tumballi
Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker