[Gluster-infra] Automatic nightly builds for glusterfs RPMs?

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 18:08:54 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 12:30 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> during the last weekly meeting we touched upon creating nightly builds
> from the glusterfs.git repository. It seems that Fedora offers a service
> called COPR [1] that makes this really easy. Of course, this builds only
> RPMs for Fedora and EPEL, but I think it is a good start.
>
> IMHO we should aim for building packages from the main glusterfs.git
> repository, and not pull in anything from the Fedora packaging
> infrastructure (dist-git). There are some differences between the Fedora
> packages and the community ones. In future, these should get minimized,
> but we are a little more flexible with the community packages (less
> strict packaging guidelines, making glusterfs-regression-test possible).
>
> I've put a script together [2] that can be used to create the needed
> SRPM, scp's it to a public download location, and triggers a COPR build.
> This script has been used to create COPR repositories for the master
> branch [3], release-3.5 [4] and release-3.4 [5]. Fedora 18-20 and EPEL-6
> are currently available (x86_64 only). For an unknown reason, EPEL-5
> fails to build :-/
>
> It should be pretty easy to use the COPR repositories for automated
> testing. The RPMs are not intended for general consumption. There are
> some things that aren't too nice (like, master branch packages have
> a version of 'date +%Y%m%d'). I have not tried to install any of the
> generated RPMs yet. The main purpose of this exercise is to show whats
> possible with minimal effort.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts or other feedback is much appreciated. Things I'd
> like to see answered are:
> - Can something like this be used?

I think we could give this a try.

> - How/when should these packages get build?

Nightly if commits have been merged in the last 24 hours.

> - Should this be run on build.gluster.org or download.gluster.org?

We can possibly run the script as a jenkins job or through cron in
build.gluster.org.

> - Sync the repositories to download.gluster.org?

+1. download.gluster.org is something that we can publish as the source
for all nightly builds.

>    (Fedora COPR retention is 14 days of old packages, indefinitely for
>    last successful build. Is that sufficient?)

Might be good enough to start with.

Thanks for this initiative, Niels!

Cheers,
Vijay