[Gluster-infra] Automatic nightly builds for glusterfs RPMs?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Jan 12 19:00:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,

during the last weekly meeting we touched upon creating nightly builds
from the glusterfs.git repository. It seems that Fedora offers a service
called COPR [1] that makes this really easy. Of course, this builds only
RPMs for Fedora and EPEL, but I think it is a good start.

IMHO we should aim for building packages from the main glusterfs.git
repository, and not pull in anything from the Fedora packaging
infrastructure (dist-git). There are some differences between the Fedora
packages and the community ones. In future, these should get minimized,
but we are a little more flexible with the community packages (less
strict packaging guidelines, making glusterfs-regression-test possible).

I've put a script together [2] that can be used to create the needed
SRPM, scp's it to a public download location, and triggers a COPR build.
This script has been used to create COPR repositories for the master
branch [3], release-3.5 [4] and release-3.4 [5]. Fedora 18-20 and EPEL-6
are currently available (x86_64 only). For an unknown reason, EPEL-5
fails to build :-/

It should be pretty easy to use the COPR repositories for automated
testing. The RPMs are not intended for general consumption. There are
some things that aren't too nice (like, master branch packages have
a version of 'date +%Y%m%d'). I have not tried to install any of the
generated RPMs yet. The main purpose of this exercise is to show whats
possible with minimal effort.

Any ideas, thoughts or other feedback is much appreciated. Things I'd
like to see answered are:
- Can something like this be used?
- How/when should these packages get build?
- Should this be run on build.gluster.org or download.gluster.org?
- Sync the repositories to download.gluster.org?
  (Fedora COPR retention is 14 days of old packages, indefinitely for
  last successful build. Is that sufficient?)

Thanks,
Niels

1. https://fedorahosted.org/copr/
2. https://gist.github.com/nixpanic/cdb97093605e39c52ff8