[Gluster-infra] Automatic nightly builds for glusterfs RPMs?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 12:06:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:38:54PM +0530, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 12:30 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >during the last weekly meeting we touched upon creating nightly builds
> >from the glusterfs.git repository. It seems that Fedora offers a service
> >called COPR [1] that makes this really easy. Of course, this builds only
> >RPMs for Fedora and EPEL, but I think it is a good start.
> >
> >IMHO we should aim for building packages from the main glusterfs.git
> >repository, and not pull in anything from the Fedora packaging
> >infrastructure (dist-git). There are some differences between the Fedora
> >packages and the community ones. In future, these should get minimized,
> >but we are a little more flexible with the community packages (less
> >strict packaging guidelines, making glusterfs-regression-test possible).
> >
> >I've put a script together [2] that can be used to create the needed
> >SRPM, scp's it to a public download location, and triggers a COPR build.
> >This script has been used to create COPR repositories for the master
> >branch [3], release-3.5 [4] and release-3.4 [5]. Fedora 18-20 and EPEL-6
> >are currently available (x86_64 only). For an unknown reason, EPEL-5
> >fails to build :-/
> >
> >It should be pretty easy to use the COPR repositories for automated
> >testing. The RPMs are not intended for general consumption. There are
> >some things that aren't too nice (like, master branch packages have
> >a version of 'date +%Y%m%d'). I have not tried to install any of the
> >generated RPMs yet. The main purpose of this exercise is to show whats
> >possible with minimal effort.
> >
> >Any ideas, thoughts or other feedback is much appreciated. Things I'd
> >like to see answered are:
> >- Can something like this be used?
>
> I think we could give this a try.
>
> >- How/when should these packages get build?
>
> Nightly if commits have been merged in the last 24 hours.

Updated the script [1] with a "-H <HOURS>" switch. It defaults to 24
hours and will not trigger a build if 'git log --since=24hours' is
empty.

> >- Should this be run on build.gluster.org or download.gluster.org?
>
> We can possibly run the script as a jenkins job or through cron in
> build.gluster.org.

I can setup a cron-job on build.gluster.org that runs as my user. Any
particular time that would be most convenient?

> >- Sync the repositories to download.gluster.org?
>
> +1. download.gluster.org is something that we can publish as the
> source for all nightly builds.

I dont know how (if) automatic pushes to download.gluster.org are done.
Maybe just setup an rsync or similar job that copies the COPR
repositories over?

> >   (Fedora COPR retention is 14 days of old packages, indefinitely for
> >   last successful build. Is that sufficient?)
>
> Might be good enough to start with.
>
> Thanks for this initiative, Niels!

More feedback is very welcome :)

Niels