[Gluster-devel] Introducing me, questions on general improvements in gluster re. latency and throughput

sankarshan sankarshan at kadalu.io
Thu Jun 11 17:06:27 UTC 2020

Federico - welcome again! It was fantastic to have you at the
Community Meeting. You bring up an interesting perspective - of how to
onboard a participant by providing specific and focused conversations.
I am hoping that this note is one where Xavi and Amar can respond in
order to provide some of the plans and approaches you seek. One of the
topics which we have gone back and forth about (in the past) is how to
ensure that we are closer to the mainline/upstream of FUSE than we are
at this moment. I wonder if that is something worth investigating at
this point.

/s

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 13:21, Federico Strati <strati.federico at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I just started working for a company named A3Cube, who produces HPC
> supercomputers.
>
> I was assigned the task to investigate which improvements to gluster are
> viable
>
> in order to lead to overall better performance in latency and throughput.
>
> I'm quite new to SDS and so pardon me if some questions are naive.
>
>  From what I've understood so far, possible bottlenecks are
>
> in FUSE and transport.
>
> Generally speaking, if you have time to just drop me some pointers,
>
> 1] FUSE + splice has never been considered (issue closed without real
> discussions)
>
> (probably because it conflicts with the general architecture and in
> particular
>
> with the write-behind translator)
>
> Recently, it has been announced a new userspace fs kernel module, ZUFS,
> whose aim
>
> is to zero copy and improving vastly over FUSE: would you be interested
>
> in investigating it ?
>
> (ZUFS: https://github.com/NetApp/zufs-zuf ;
> https://lwn.net/Articles/756625/)
>
> 2] Transport over RDMA (Infiniband) has been recently dropped:
>
> may I ask you what considerations have been made ?
>
> 3] I would love to hear what you consider real bottlenecks in gluster
>
> right now regarding latency and thruput.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kind regards
>
> Federico

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

sankarshan at kadalu.io | TZ: UTC+0530 | +91 99606 03294
kadalu.io : Making it easy to provision storage in k8s!