[Gluster-devel] Introducing me, questions on general improvements in gluster re. latency and throughput

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 08:04:15 UTC 2020

Welcome first of all, glad to see interest in improving Gluster performance.
I believe there's a huge potential for improvements in different areas you
can look into.
Certainly zero-copy (or just eliminating extra copies we have today in the
code) would be most welcome.

We seem to have some lock contention in some areas of Gluster. Depending on
the setup and workload, there might be different ones.
Certainly reducing some of them could lead to reduced latency and CPU
consumption.

RDMA has been dropped as it was not properly tested and therefore
maintained. I do believe there is value, but it is not a major bottleneck
at the moment - 10g from a performance perspective provides a good enough
alternative, and latency is still something we should work in the code.
The network stack for example, may be contributing to increased latency.

Removal of translators that are not needed in the stack might help
performance as well. We have many translators, but few are needed in most
cases.

Y.