[Gluster-devel] Assistance setting up Gluster

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 05:09:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:20 AM Barak Sason <sason922 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My name is Barak and I'll soon be joining the Gluster development team as
> a part of Red Hat.

Hello and welcome to the Gluster community.

> As a preparation for my upcoming employment I've been trying to get
> Gluster up and running on my system, but came across some technical
> difficulties.
> I'll appreciate any assistance you may provide.
>
> I have 2 VMs on my PC - Ubuntu 18, which I used for previous development
> and RHEL 8 which I installed a fresh copy just days ago.

2 VMs is really minimal. You should use more.

> The copy of Gluster code I'm working with is a clone of the master
> repository.
>
> On Ubuntu installation completed, but running the command 'sudo glusterd'
> does nothing. Debugging with gdb shows that the program terminates very
> early due to an error.
> At glusterfsd.c:2878 (main method) there is a call to 'daemonize' method.
> at glusterfsd.c:2568 a call to sys_read fails with errno 17.
> I'm unsure why this happens and I was unable to solve this.
> I've tried to run 'sudo glusterd -N' in order to deactivate
> deamonization, but this also fails at glusterfsd.c:2712
> ('glusterfs_process_volfp' method). I was unable to solve this issue too.
>
> On RHEL, running ./configure results in an error regarding 'rpcgen'.
> Running ./configure --without-libtirp was unhelpful and results in the
> same error.

I'd separate the two issues to two different email threads, as they may or
may not be related.
Please provide logs for each.
Why are you running glusterd manually, btw?

You may want to take a look at https://github.com/mykaul/vg - which is a
simple way to set up Gluster on CentOS 7 VMs for testing. I have not tried
it for some time - let me know how it works for you.
Y.