[Gluster-devel] Assistance setting up Gluster

Barak Sason sason922 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 22:19:27 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

My name is Barak and I'll soon be joining the Gluster development team as a
part of Red Hat.

As a preparation for my upcoming employment I've been trying to get Gluster
up and running on my system, but came across some technical difficulties.
I'll appreciate any assistance you may provide.

I have 2 VMs on my PC - Ubuntu 18, which I used for previous development
and RHEL 8 which I installed a fresh copy just days ago.
The copy of Gluster code I'm working with is a clone of the master
repository.

On Ubuntu installation completed, but running the command 'sudo glusterd'
does nothing. Debugging with gdb shows that the program terminates very
early due to an error.
At glusterfsd.c:2878 (main method) there is a call to 'daemonize' method.
at glusterfsd.c:2568 a call to sys_read fails with errno 17.
I'm unsure why this happens and I was unable to solve this.
I've tried to run 'sudo glusterd -N' in order to deactivate deamonization,
but this also fails at glusterfsd.c:2712 ('glusterfs_process_volfp'
method). I was unable to solve this issue too.

On RHEL, running ./configure results in an error regarding 'rpcgen'.
Running ./configure --without-libtirp was unhelpful and results in the same
error.

As of right now I'm unable to proceed so I ask for your assistance.

Thank you all very much.