[Gluster-devel] Release 4.0: Making it happen! (Protocol changes and wireshark)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 11:46:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 03:36:55PM -0500, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As we are introducing a new protocol version, the existing gluster
> wireshark plugin [1] needs to be updated.
>
> Further this needs to get released to wireshark users in some fashion,
> which looks like a need to follow wireshark roadmap [2] (not sure if
> this can be part of a maintenance release, which would possibly be based
> on the quantum of changes etc.).
>
> This need not happen with 4.0 branching, but at least has to be
> completed before 4.0 release.
>
> @neils once the protocol changes are complete, would this be possible to
> complete by you in the next 6 odd weeks by the release (end of Feb)? Or,
> if we need volunteers, please give a shout out here.

Adding the new bits to the Wireshark dissector is pretty straight
forward. Once the protocol changes have been done, it would be good to
have a few .pcap files captured that can be used for developing and
testing the changes. This can even be done in steps, as soon as one
chunk of the protocol is finalized, a patch to upstream Wireshark can be
sent already. We can improve it incrementally that way, also making it
easier for multiple contributors to work on it.

I can probably do some of the initial work, but would like assistance
from others with testing and possibly improving certain parts. If
someone can provide tcpdumps with updated protocol changes, that would
be most welcome! Capture the dumps like this:

  # tcpdump -i any -w /var/tmp/gluster-40-${proto_change}.pcap -s 0 tcp and not port 22
  ... exercise the protocol bit that changed, include connection setup
  ... press CTRL+C once done
  # gzip /var/tmp/gluster-40-${proto_change}.pcap
  ... Wireshark can read .pcap.gz without manual decompressing

Attach the .pcap.gz to the GitHub issue for the protocol change and
email gluster-devel@ once it is available so that a developer can start
working on the Wireshark change.

Thanks,
Niels