[Gluster-devel] Postmortem of emails from gerrit-stage.rht.gluster.org

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 17:22:39 UTC 2017

Hello folks,

Some of you may have gotten a large number of emails that your Gerrit
filters did not catch. This is because we added a config to Gerrit Stage
yesterday to start closing old reviews. This is a conversation we've had
for a while and it needed testing. In anticipation of a large number of
emails, I had shutdown the postfix server. However, I forgot that our
automation would turn postfix back on. This means some of you may have
gotten spammed today. You can trash all those emails.

We've intentionally broken main.cf so that Ansible does not restart postfix
again. So there should be no more spam for now.

This has also taught us that doing this in production is not advisable. The
staging server is currently rate-limited by major email providers due to
the number of emails we sent out. We can separately discuss how to close
old reviews.

Apologies again for the spam.

Thanks,
Nigel and Michael