[Gluster-devel] Release 3.12 and 4.0: Thoughts on scope

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Thu May 18 10:01:13 UTC 2017

On 05/16/2017 02:10 PM, Kaushal M wrote:
> On 16 May 2017 06:16, "Shyam" <srangana at redhat.com
> <mailto:srangana at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Let's start a bit early on 3.12 and 4.0 roadmap items, as there have
>     been quite a few discussions around this in various meetups.
>
>     Here is what we are hearing (or have heard), so if you are working
>     on any of these items, do put up your github issue, and let us know
>     which release you are targeting these for.
>
>     If you are working on something that is not represented here, shout
>     out, and we can get that added to the list of items in the upcoming
>     releases.
>
>     Once we have a good collection slotted into the respective releases
>     (on github), we can further announce the same in the users list as well.
>
>     3.12:
>     1. Geo-replication to cloud (ie, s3 or glacier like storage target)
>     2. Basic level of throttling support on server side to manage the
>     self-heal processes running.
>     3. Brick Multiplexing (Better support, more control)
>     4. GFID to path improvements
>     5. Resolve issues around disconnects and ping-timeouts
>     6. Halo with hybrid mode was supposed to be with 3.12
>     7. Procedures and code for +1 scaling the cluster?
>     8. Lookup-optimized turned on by default.
>     9. Thin client (or server side clustering) - phase 1.

10. > We also have the IPV6 patch by FB. This was supposed to go into
3.11 but
> hasn't. The main thing blocking this is having an actual IPV6
> environment to test it in.

11. Also we would like to propose support for leases and lock-owner via
gfAPI in 3.12.

There are already POC patches sent by Poornima and Anoop. They need
testing (have started) and updates. I have raised github-issue [1] to
track the same.

>     4.0: (more thematic than actual features at the moment)
>     1. Separation of Management and Filesystem layers (aka GlusterD2
>     related efforts)
>     2. Scaling Distribution logic
>     3. Better consistency with rename() and link() operations
>     4. Thin client || Clustering Logic on server side - Phase 2
>     5. Quota: re-look at optimal support
>     6. Improvements in debug-ability and more focus on testing coverage
>     based on use-cases.
       7. Zero-copy Writes

There was some effort put up by Sachin wrt this feature[2]. I would like
to take it forward and propose the design changes if needed to be
consumed by external applications (at-least existing ones like
NFS-Ganesha or Samba). Github issue#[3]

Thanks,
Soumya

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/213