[Gluster-devel] Gerrit submit type (was tests/bugs/gfapi/bug-1447266/bug-1447266.t)

Jeff Darcy jeff at pl.atyp.us
Mon May 15 12:03:51 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017, at 11:39 PM, Nigel Babu wrote:
> We use the "cherry-pick" submit type for glusterfs on Gerrit[1]. In the
> past,
> Poornima has pointed this out as well. I believe there was no interest in
> changing the submit type[2] because the other submit types do not add
> metadata to
> the commit itself.
>
> [1]:
> https://review.gluster.org/Documentation/project-configuration.html#submit_type
> [2]:
> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-September/050874.html

I'm not convinced that submit type should matter.  Gerrit clearly can
recognize that there is a dependency before the patch is submitted.  It
does this to generate the "related changes" list, among other things.
If it can do that, and it can enable/disable submission based on other
factors like regression-test votes, it has all of the mechanisms it
needs to enable/disable submission based on dependency state.  Submit
type only comes into play after the decision has already been made to
enable/allow submission.