[Gluster-devel] Gerrit submit type (was tests/bugs/gfapi/bug-1447266/bug-1447266.t)

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Tue May 16 11:06:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Jeff Darcy <jeff at pl.atyp.us> wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2017, at 11:39 PM, Nigel Babu wrote:
>> We use the "cherry-pick" submit type for glusterfs on Gerrit[1]. In the
>> past,
>> Poornima has pointed this out as well. I believe there was no interest in
>> changing the submit type[2] because the other submit types do not add
>> metadata to
>> the commit itself.
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://review.gluster.org/Documentation/project-configuration.html#submit_type
>> [2]:
>> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-September/050874.html
>
> I'm not convinced that submit type should matter.  Gerrit clearly can
> recognize that there is a dependency before the patch is submitted.  It
> does this to generate the "related changes" list, among other things.
> If it can do that, and it can enable/disable submission based on other
> factors like regression-test votes, it has all of the mechanisms it
> needs to enable/disable submission based on dependency state.  Submit
> type only comes into play after the decision has already been made to
> enable/allow submission.

Not true. I have looked into this last year when I sent out the
mail[1] asking fast-forward to be the submit type. I am now aware that
fast-forward is wrong method to use. With cherry pick method gerrit
does not use the information which it uses to show related changes to
*enforce* submit order. However, with rebase if necessary it might.
Nigel, would it be possible for you to setup a test server to try?

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur

[1] http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-January/047740.html