[Gluster-devel] Custom Transport layers

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Mon Oct 31 06:15:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to write custom transport layers for gluster?, data
> transfer, not the management protocols. Pointers to the existing code
> and/or docs :) would be helpful
>

> I'd like to experiment with broadcast udp to see if its feasible in local
> networks.

Another thing to consider here is ordering of messages (sent over
transport). If Broadcast udp doesn't support ordering of messages (I know
udp doesn't, assuming broadcast udp doesn't too, but I may be wrong). If it
doesn't, you've to build ordering logic on top of it. If transport layer
doesn't provide ordering, we cannot reason about consistency of data stored
on filesystem.

> It would be amazing if we could write at 1GB speeds simultaneously to all
> nodes.
>

> Alternatively let me know if this has been tried and discarded as a bad
> idea ...
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> Lindsay Mathieson