[Gluster-devel] Custom Transport layers

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Sat Oct 29 20:37:25 UTC 2016

> Hmmm, I never considered that side of things. I guess I had a somewhat
> naive vision of packets floating through the ethernet visible to all
> interfaces, but switched based networks are basically a star topology.
> Are you saying the switch would likely be the choke point here?

Not necessarily.  Switches can do this fan-out more efficiently than
any general-purpose machine could, so they're not going to get choked
up, but the benefit's not that great either.  The fact that one send
from the client can consume resources on N server-side channels can
also exacerbate problems like TCP incast collapse (in much the same
way that similar "amplification" is the basis for many DoS attacks).
Broadcast/multicast can still be useful for many things, but IMO not
those that are both throughput- and latency-sensitive like we are.