[Gluster-devel] 3.7.0 update

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 17:16:23 UTC 2015

On 04/08/2015 05:51 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2015, at 11:21, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> 3. Spurious regression tests listed in [3] to be fixed.
>>   To not impede the review & merge workflow on release-3.7/master, I plan to drop those test units which still cause
>>   spurious failures by the time we branch release-3.7.
>
> Thinking about this more... this feels like the wrong approach.
>
> The spurious failures seem to be caused reasonably often by
> race conditions in our code and similar.
>
> Dropping the unfixed spurious tests feels like sweeping the
> harder/trickier problems under the rug, which means they'll
> need to be found and fixed later anyway.

I don't think that is the intention. Rather than sweeping the
harder/tricker problems away, at least my original intent was to spur
ourselves into action to clean up the frequently failing tests.

> And yeah, this could delay the release a bit.  Personally, I'm
> ok with that.  It's not going to make our release of lower
> quality, and people not involved in spurious failure fixing
> are still able to do dev work on master.

I am open to this. We need not stop branching but can block the release
till the listed spurious regression failures are fixed.

Thanks,
Vijay