[Gluster-devel] 3.7.0 update

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Apr 8 12:21:26 UTC 2015

On 7 Apr 2015, at 11:21, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
<snip>
> 3. Spurious regression tests listed in [3] to be fixed.
>  To not impede the review & merge workflow on release-3.7/master, I plan to drop those test units which still cause
>  spurious failures by the time we branch release-3.7.

Thinking about this more... this feels like the wrong approach.

The spurious failures seem to be caused reasonably often by
race conditions in our code and similar.

Dropping the unfixed spurious tests feels like sweeping the
harder/trickier problems under the rug, which means they'll
need to be found and fixed later anyway.

That's kind of the opposite to "lets resolve all these
spurious failures before proceeding" (which should mean "lets
fix them finally"). ;)

And yeah, this could delay the release a bit.  Personally, I'm
ok with that.  It's not going to make our release of lower
quality, and people not involved in spurious failure fixing
are still able to do dev work on master.

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--