[Gluster-devel] metdata-volume for gluster

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 19:10:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 06:26:23AM -0400, Rajesh Joseph wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In gluster 3.7 multiple features (Snapshot scheduler, NFS Ganesha,
> Geo-rep) are planning to use additional volume to store metadata
> related to these features. This volume needs to be manually created
> and explicitly managed by an admin.
>
> I think creating and managing these many metadata volume would be an
> overhead for an admin. Instead of that I am proposing to have a single
> unified metata-volume which can be used by all these features.

That sounds like a great idea!

> For simplicity and easier management we are proposing to have a
> pre-defined volume name.

Who is the "we" you speak about? It would be nice to know who gave their
opinions before you wrote this email. (I assume they would not respond
to this email because they have agreed already?)

> If needed this name can be configured using a global gluster option.

I would say that configuring is not needed, and surely not advised. A
name that is easy to recognise would be good, like prepending with a _.

> Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

What would be the (default) name of this volume that you are thinking
about?

> Thanks & Regards,
> Rajesh

Thanks for sharing,