[Gluster-devel] How do (sub)maintainers watch out for available patches to review/merge?

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 13:48:37 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 09:42 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 07:01 PM, Shyamsundar Ranganathan wrote:
>> Hi Niels,
>>
>> 1) One of the ways to get this done would be to _somehow_ have a query
>> that lists patches where the maintainers component files are touched.
>> This would catch all changes pertaining to the component.
>>
>> 2) Other than this, there could be some repercussion to a component
>> due to other commits, in this case I would expect the component owner,
>> of the seemingly unrelated commit as per (1), to flag other
>> maintainers for a review.
>>
>> I am not sure how to do (1) :)
>>

> The message keyword in gerrit search might help.
>
> For e.g., to query all patches that have dht as part of their message,
> you can use this URL [1].

Not to throw water on this, but the problem is some changes that are
more generic and touch files across components, in which case we cannot
expect the component name in the commit message.

Example: http://review.gluster.org/#/c/8141/ (Just the first example I
could lay my hands on).

> This works as long as we follow the practice of including the component
> being modified in the commit log.
>
> Searching by file: requires an upgrade of our gerrit instance [2].

Something akin to this is more preferable, so that nothing slips by.
Once you start on a query, habits change and other more laborious means
of filtering fall by the wayside :)