[Gluster-devel] Questions on dht rebalance

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Mon Nov 25 04:53:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Muralidhar Balcha <muralidharb at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I have couple of questions on rebalance functionality
> 1. When I ran rebalancing command, the gluster daemon that is responsible
> for migrating data is terminating itself in the middle of the data
> migration. I may be missing something. How do I make the daemon wait until
> the data migration is complete.

Under normal circumstances, the rebalance daemon terminates when it
believes it has completed transferring all files it is supposed to. Do you
have any logs with more details?

> 2. This question may not be related to rebalance adding or removing a
> brick from a volume. If I add a new brick to a volume that is in use, how
> do existing clients realize the new brick? Is there a notification
> mechanism that each client refreshes their client volinfo?

Yes, clients are polling w/ glusterd waiting for config changes, and will
swap to a new xlator graph at run time if necessary.

Avati