[Gluster-devel] Multiple independent glusterfs daemons on the same host? Using vservers?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 19:50:55 UTC 2008

--- Anand Avati <avati at zresearch.com> wrote:
> > So the question is, what makes this
> > different from running two instances on different
> > ports?  What kind of check is being done in
> > glusterfsd and what are the reasons that this
> > should be prevented?
>

> you can run multiple glusterfsd instances on the
> same machine. the PID file is only a mechanism which

> helps you write init.d scripts neatly. things you
> need to take care -
>
> 1. if you are specifying pidfile, do not specify the
> same path for multiple daemons

Hmm, since I was running it manually, I was not
specifying a PID file, does it use a default? (The man
page does not suggest that it does)  Perhaps the 1.3.7
did?  It seems (deb1.3.8.pre2) runs multiple instances
now just fine without the PID switch.

> 2. do not export the same backend directory with
> different glusterfsd daemons.

OK, good to know!

> 3. take care to see to that both do not try to bind
> to the same tcp port etc.

Sure

> apart from that, the two daemons are oblivious to
> each other and they can have same volume names
> defined as well.

Yes, seems to work nice now.

> > Lastly, while I was able to make things
> > work within a vserver, I was only able to
> > mount the client filesystem inside the same
> > vserver from which it was exported, not on
> > the host.
> are they both using the exact same version? (to the
> patchset level)

They are now and it works!  I was using a 1.3.7 client

with the a deb1.3.8pre2 server.

Thanks, I have to say that I really appreciate the
quick helpful valuable responses that I receive on
this list!  The friendliness and accuracy is something
that sets this project apart from many others.  Again,
thanks!

-Martin