[Gluster-devel] glusterfs_1.4.0qa19: small issues

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Tue Jun 10 23:24:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Brent A Nelson wrote:

> Okay, that's fixed, along with the removexattr issue.  Another couple of
> quirks; cp -a /usr/bin /gluster/bin makes a perfect copy, except:
>
> 1) /gluster/bin itself doesn't preserve the correct permissions (rsync
> succeeds, though, and a cp -a to /tmp also works fine, so it's not a problem
> with cp); the contents are all fine, except:
>
> 2) /gluster/bin/sudoedit did not have the setuid bit set (this fails with
> rsync, too, but a manual chmod u+s succeeds).

I tortured my GlusterFS pretty heavily today.  Apart from the issues
above, it held up perfectly for repeated rsync/rm cycles.

I noticed that when doing a large (10GB ) dd write on a client, if the
write was going to the client node (which is also a server), ls would hang
for long periods on that client.  So, I figured it was time to load up
io-threads (just 2 threads per export) on the servers to split up the
metadata and io traffic.  It worked beautifully; ls -al was very
responsive on all clients, even with heavy write activity.

However, I noticed that with io-threads loaded, the server processes would
sometimes consume several GB of RAM (up to 2.2GB).  I didn't worry about
it too much, as it generally would free the memory back.  I did more
exhaustive testing, with all 4 servers acting as clients, all 4 doing dd
writes, and it worked fine for awhile.  Eventually, however, one of my
nodes ran out of memory; perhaps that extra io-threads memory consumption
is an issue after all.

Also, when the node ran out of memory, my other GlusterFS clients hung.
As someone mentioned previously, GlusterFS apparently doesn't give up
properly if the unresponsive machine is still up.  After rebooting the
hung node (but not yet restarting the server processes), the clients gave
up on the node and became responsive again.

Thanks,

Brent