[Gluster-devel] High availability

Raghavendra G raghavendra at zresearch.com
Tue Oct 30 13:43:05 UTC 2007

Default timeout is 108 seconds. If you are using afr between Server A and B,
Command completes successfully even if ethernet cable is unplugged from
server A.

On Oct 30, 2007 5:25 PM, CityToo - Benjamin Loire <bloire at citytoo.com>
wrote:

> OK => If I unplug ethernet eth0, /mnt/glusterfs is no responding until I
> plug again the ethernet eth0
>
> I didn't configure transport timeout and if don't plug again ethernet
> eth0, /mnt/glusterfs is no responding ...What is the time-period before
> command complete successfully because I have waiting about 30 secondes !
> Have I to necessarily to configure transport timeout ?
>
> When you say "But after that time-period command should complete
> successfully", is condition to plug again ethernet eth0 ?
>
> If you want say that command should complete successfully after a
> time-period slightly greater than transport timeout without to plug again
> ethernet eth0 (server), have I to use necessarily translator unify with "rr"
> in first before translator AFR, or is translator AFR alone does
> automatically high availability if one sublvolume is down ?

Just AFR alone can provide high availability here.

> PS: I have only 2 nodes server for my test.
> Should I have 3 nodes server to have high availability if I use AFR with
> option replicate *:2 or should I have high availability too if I have 2
> nodes server with AFR with option replicate *:2 if I unplug ethernet eth0
> server ?

Can you send the glusterfs Specification files? Do you need both the
functionalities of AFR and unify or just high availability (AFR by itself
can provide high availability).

> Benjamin LOIRE
>
> Le Mardi 30 Octobre 2007 12:55, Raghavendra G a écrit :
> > Hi Benjamin,
> >
> > It may not be responsive for a period slightly greater than transport
> > timeout. But after that time-period command should complete
> successfully.
> >
> > regards,
> > On Oct 30, 2007 1:27 AM, CityToo - Benjamin Loire <bloire at citytoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > If I unplug ethernet on server A, /mnt/glusterfs is no responding.
> > > Yet I use unify rr + AFR between server A and server B
> > >
> > > Is it normal for a high availability storage system like glusterfs ?
> > >
> > > Benjamin LOIRE

> --
> Salutations distinguées
>
> Benjamin LOIRE
> Directeur Général Fondateur
> CityToo
> 19, allée du Clos Gagneur
> 93160 Noisy le Grand
> bloire at citytoo.com
> Tel : (+33) 1 43 05 78 46
>
> RCS 478 844 053  Bobigny
>
> CityToo : Place de marché e-commerce
> Comparez, achetez, vendez en toute garantie
> Et accédez à plus de 14 services gratuits de petites annonces
>
> http://www.CityToo.fr

Raghavendra G

A centipede was happy quite, until a toad in fun,
Said, "Prey, which leg comes after which?",
This raised his doubts to such a pitch,
He fell flat into the ditch,
Not knowing how to run.
-Anonymous